- Typically they are an extension of the back of the home. They are perfect for relaxing, grilling, sunbathing, and entertaining. Other additions can include benches, hot tubs, and fire pits to extend the area.
- The entire deck can be built with pressure-treated wood or lumber with composite decking coming in second—this a combination of woods and plastics.
- Decks can range from $6,000 to $22,000 depending on the details. The average cost is around $10,000.
- Since decks are more exposed to the weather, they need to be washed annually and stained every two years. Regular maintenance extends the lifespan of the deck.
- You’ll generally find porches in the front of the house where they typically have access to the front door and a roof keeping the area safe from the elements.
- Porches are similar in construction as decks. The most significant difference is that the flooring looks more finished.
- The price range is from $16,000 to $30,000 because more is involved with the build. The average cost is around $21,000.
- Since the porch is covered, it does not require as much maintenance. Typically you can get away with washing and staining the wood every few years.